The Dragon Has Three Heads (AAR)

Post your mod AARs and stories here

Re: The Dragon Has Three Heads (AAR)

PostPosted by Max14354 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:13

jsdunc wrote:No! Not at all. It shall return soon!

Check your messages mate
Max14354

PostPosted by jsdunc » Mon Sep 07, 2015 16:27

Chapter 17: The Night Is Dark

Many parts of the city of New Valyria were still uninhabitable. The city had never recovered from its desolation by Drogon. In the great palace at the center Emperor Otherys, whom men called 'the Unworthy', sat with his war council. They were a haggard, ragged looking bunch. Worn by over a decade of constant civil war.
"We received the formal declaration from Volantis this morning your majesty," said Illyrio Mathos the Master of Laws, "Volantis is officially independent."
"And there's nothing to be done?" said Otherys.
"Nothing your majesty," said Illyrio, "We just don't have the men."
"So that's Norvos, Qohor and Volantis now," Otherys sighed, "We're losing the whole empire."
"We'll win it back your majesty," said Ohoris the Master of War, "We just need time to replenish our levies and..." A young boy burst into the room and handed a note to Illyrio.
"You majesty," Illyrio's voice was heavy with exhaustion, "The Sealord of Bravos has declared independence." Otherys just sank his head into his hands.

Last Hearth was a cold and desolate place. She could have had a crypt in the Sept of Baelor and yet she'd insisted on being burying up here. Aerys would never understand Northerners. The funeral procession for Rowena Umber made their way to the Godswood.

Aerys led the procession followed by his children by Rowena. His son Rhaegar carried the dragon banner and Rowena's elderly cousin Lord Brandon carried the giant banner of Umber. Although the Targaryens had been made to feel welcome, Aerys had made sure to receive bread and salt quickly, the anger and resentment from the Umbers was palpable. Aerys had stripped the North from them and executed their kinwoman, it was no wonder they simmered. Let's just get his over with, Aerys thought, Old or New, the Gods don't care about us.

The great hall was quiet. The Umbers and Targaryens were eating together but there was blood between them, everyone could feel it. Edric sat at Aerys side, dust from the road still on his face.
"And how is the war with the Wildlings going my lord?" asked Jon Umber, heir to Last Hearth.
"Slower than I'd like," said Edric, "Dislodging them from the Wall is proving difficult. Especially given the paltry number of troops I've received from certain banner men." Edric looked over at Lord Brandon.
"Go soak your head bastard," slurred Brandon.
"Father!" Jon Umber was on his feet, "Apologies my lord, your grace. My father is grieving and had far too much ale." Aerys waved his hand tiredly.
"It doesn't matter," he said.
"Aye it fucking does," said Edric, "I want an apology from you Lord Umber."
"Fuck off," said Brandon. Edric stood up.
"Excuse me my lord?" he said coldly.
"Lord Stark," said Jon Umber, "On behalf of House Umber I offer my humblest and most sincere..."
"Silence lickspittle!" Brandon struggled to his feet, "I'll take no lectures from a boy who bends the knee to our enemies."
"Enemies is it?" said Edric. Brandon reached for his sword hilt.
"Go on!" Aerys leaped up, "Draw your steel and you're a dead man. That's the law." Brandon met Aerys' eye. "I'll fly back up here with my dragon and burn down Last Hearth with every treasonous fucking Umber inside." Brandon sat down.
"I apologize Lord Stark," Brandon spat the words.
"Accepted my lord," Edric sat, "Emotions always run high on such a day." Aerys remained on his feet.
"Piss on you all," he said walking from the table out into the cold night. Edric followed him outside.
"Aerys!" Edric said, "Come back in."
"I'm done Edric," said Aerys, "I'm done with all of this." He threw a gold chain at Edric, a chain of linked hands. "Here, maybe you'll do better than I did. I'm going to go find a quiet place to drink myself to death."

Aerys passed through his usual crowd to reach the throne, his wife Rowena joining them. He passed by Tywin, with his three crossbow bolts in his chest, and mounted the Iron Throne. As always Aerys saw the throne was occupied by the mad king.
"Burn them all," he said.

Aerys woke sweating despite the cold of his room in Last Hearth. Every night now. Every night he woke like this. It was draining him, the sleeplessness. He rubbed his eyes.
"Burn them all."
Aerys jumped backwards.
"Burn them in their houses, burn them in their beds," the Mad King stood before Aerys, "Burn them all."
"You're just a dream," said Aerys shaking, "Just a dream..." Aerys closed his eyes. But the Mad King's face remained in his vision.
"Remember who you are," said the Mad King, "And burn them all."

Next Chapter: http://citadel.prophpbb.com/post83148.html#p83148
Last edited by jsdunc on Mon Sep 07, 2015 23:56, edited 2 times in total.
jsdunc

PostPosted by CFA26 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 17:15

Well, shit
CFA26

PostPosted by Max14354 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 17:33

Very nice, it always gets more interesting when the king goes mad. Check your messages, and keep em coming.
Max14354

PostPosted by gwfin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 19:19

Uh-oh. That ol' Targ blood is finally catching up to Aerys! Yiikes!

Hey - I have a mod-related, game question, how have you managed to keep your game stable for so long? It seems like game that have a lot of years under them crash every few in-game months.
gwfin

PostPosted by jsdunc » Mon Sep 07, 2015 19:47

gwfin wrote:Uh-oh. That ol' Targ blood is finally catching up to Aerys! Yiikes!

Hey - I have a mod-related, game question, how have you managed to keep your game stable for so long? It seems like game that have a lot of years under them crash every few in-game months.

Well this game has only lasted about six decades so far. Not that long for a CK2 game. But the only real issue I've had is the game crashing on autosave, not sure if mod or vanilla problem. I just turned off autosave and manually save often.
jsdunc

PostPosted by jsdunc » Mon Sep 07, 2015 23:55

Chapter 18: And Full Of Terrors

They were screaming as the city burned. The wildfire tore through Flea Bottom first, weaving its way up the street of steel towards the market district. It burned the Sept of Baelor and the Red Keep, forcing its way to Aerys on the Iron Throne. He laughed as his skin blackened and melted off his bones and rose again as a golden dragon and flew towards the sun.

"Aerys?"
Aerys woke. He was sitting on the Iron Throne as Edric Stark entered the throne room, empty but for the ghosts, Viserion wrapped around the throne and the two kingsguard who stood vigil.
"Lord Hand," said Aerys, "Have my instructions been carried out?" Edric stared at Aerys. The king was a state. In the six months since Rowena's funeral he hadn't shaved, cut his hair or really washed at all. He spent all his time giving increasingly erratic orders. Erratic orders that were immediately countermanded by Edric.
"They have not your grace," said Edric, "I've instructed the pyromancers to stop making wildfire."
Kill him, said Barristan, He defies us.
"Why have you defied me Hand?" said Aerys.
"Because we don't need wildfire your grace," said Edric, "We're not at war. There's no need."
Listen to him, said Daenerys, He makes excuse after excuse for his treason. Set your dragon on him.
"Silence mother!" said Aerys, "You don't reign here anymore."
"Your grace?" said Edric, "There's no one there."
"Don't pretend you can't see her," said Aerys, "I am tired of people saying they can't see them!" Aerys' voice echoed through the hall. "I'm just so tired Edric."
"I know Aerys," said Edric, "Aemond!" At Edric's call Maester Aemond entered the hall. "Look Aerys, look who I brought from Summerhall."
"Hello brother," said Aemond.
"Aemond," said Aerys, "Can you see them?" Aemond and Edric exchanged looks.
"I was thinking of taking a trip to Dragonstone," said Aemond, "I was hoping you'd join me."
"No I'm sorry," said Aerys, "I'm far too busy here, holding court." He gestured to the near empty hall.
"I'm afraid we must insist," said Aemond, "You need a holiday."
He wants the throne for himself, said Rowena.
"Yes, I see," said Aerys, "Edric take my brother into custody."
"Come along Aerys," said Edric, "It doesn't have to come to that."
"Defying me again?" said Aerys, "So be it. Viserion!" The dragon remained sleeping. "Viserion!" Aerys screeched hoarsely. Aemond took a few steps forward.
"It takes a lot of sweet-sleep to knock out a dragon," he said, "But your dragon will be fine."
You understand now, said Barristan, They're turning on you. It's a conspiracy. Aerys pulled himself to his feet, cutting him self on the throne as he did so.
"Sir Horpe, Sir Royce!" shouted Aerys, "Kill these traitors!" Sir Harrold Royce turned to face Aerys.
"I'm sorry your grace," he said as he and Sir Horpe made their way up the steps of the throne.
"No! What are you doing?" Aerys cried as they each grabbed one of his arms, "Release me! I am your king!" He lashed out with his right leg, hitting Ser Horpe square in the crotch. The knight doubled up and fell backwards crashing to the floor bellow in a heap. Edric ran forward, taking the throne's steps two at a time.
"Damn it Aerys!" he said, "Don't make this harder than it has to be." He twisted Aerys' free arm behind his back and frog marched him down the steps. Gods that man was strong.
"Unhand me!" screamed Aerys as they dragged him away, "Your treacherous dogs! I'll kill you all!"

The Small Council sat in session that evening.

"So his grace did not go quietly?" said Morgan Karstark.
"Unfortunately not," said Edric, "But he will be better able to recover on Dragonstone."
"Will he ever fully recover?" said Lord Creighton.
"It is not unheard of," said Grand Maester Kennet, "He will receive the best care the citadel can provide. Perhaps, with time."
"But if he doesn't," said Eglatine, "Do you intend to rule as Lord Regent until he dies?"
"No," said Edric, "Just until Rhaegar comes of age."

"Until then," Edric continued, "I will continue to uphold the king's laws, the last six months excluded, and I propose we put all changes in law to a vote of the Small Council." Several members nodded in agreement. "Also, I believe young Prince Rhaegar should begin attending these meetings."
"Very good Lord Hand," said Grand Maester Kennet.
"To business then," said Edric, "Do we have any word on Haera Targaryen?"
"No new news," said Lord Andar, "Her bannermen continue to rebel against her and they continue to be crushed by her Dothraki screamers."
"The Dragon's Daughter is unlikely to trouble us any time soon," Lord Creighton.
"Good, good," said Edric, "And Lady Eglatine how are preparations coming for the harvest?"

The bells rang on Dragonstone from the keep. God only knew why. These Westerosi seem to ring the bells any chance they get, thought Mero, Although they better have a damn good reason for ringing them this late. Mero rolled back the voluminous sleeves of his red robes, the night service was about to begin.

It was a good turnout, nearly fifty people, all gathered in a circle around the unlit bonfire. Many from Dragonstone had kept to Rh'llor after Stannis was defeated, the majority in fact. And although they were not allowed to practice their faith within the keep's walls a blind eye was turned to their gatherings on the beach by the cliffs. One of Mero's acolytes brought a torch forward. Mero held his arms up and closed his eyes, waiting for the fire to fully catch. When he felt the heat full on his face he began.
"Lord! Cast your light upon us!" he chanted.
"Lord of Light protect us!" chanted back the congregation.
"For the Night is..." a splash and a cry interrupted Mero. He looked round.
"Someone fell from the cliff!" shouted a woman in the congregation. Yes, Mero could see them. Thrashing around out there. Mero pulled his robe over his head, ran towards the sea and dived in. Saving a life is a really easy way to earn a convert, he thought. He swam out as quickly as he could, finding an old man floating face down. Mero pulled his face out of the water.
"No!" shouted the man, "Let me die." A suicidal? thought Mero, An even easier conversion.
"Come with me old man," Mero said, dragging the man along as he struggled to be free. He hauled the old man up onto the beach.
"Gods, why won't you let me die?" the old man cried.
"There is only one god," said Mero, "And clearly he has plans for you yet." The old man met Mero's eye. Purple eyes? thought Mero. And now that he was in the light of the bonfire Mero could see, this wasn't an old man with hair white from age. This was a middle aged Valaryian.
"Your grace!" Mero fell to one knee, "I had no idea." Aerys rose to his feet.
"I doubt your god cares any more about me than any of the others," he said, "I am accursed by my actions."
"You're wrong your grace," said Mero, rising, "The Lord of Light can cleanse his faithful of all sins." He paused. "And of all ghosts." Aerys grabbed Mero.
"What do you know of my ghosts?" he said. His foul breath smothering Mero's face.
"Just what the Lord has shown me," said Mero. Aerys released him.
"And this Red God of yours can make them leave?" said Aerys. A desperate look playing across his face. Got him, thought Mero.
"Yes your grace," said Mero taking Aerys' hand, "come join us."

Next chapter: http://citadel.prophpbb.com/post83298.html#p83298
Last edited by jsdunc on Tue Sep 15, 2015 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
jsdunc

PostPosted by CFA26 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 01:01

oh, snap
CFA26

PostPosted by Schnarf » Tue Sep 08, 2015 21:06

damn, i feel bad for aerys. i dont see him getting a nice ending now :|
Schnarf

PostPosted by Demonico » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:32

Dont.Burn.Rhaegar.

Great AAR, i'm checking twice per day for new chapters...!
Demonico

PostPosted by jsdunc » Thu Sep 10, 2015 01:14

Schnarf wrote:damn, i feel bad for aerys. i dont see him getting a nice ending now :|

Well he's still alive in my game. I am as clueless as to his ending as you are. Although he did get the "ill" trait at the same time as the "depressed" trait while I was writing that last one and I was worried he'd just die randomly.

Demonico wrote:Dont.Burn.Rhaegar.

Great AAR, i'm checking twice per day for new chapters...!

Oh no. I hadn't even thought of that... Now I have.

Oh and thank you very much! I wish I could update more often.
jsdunc

PostPosted by Xerxes » Thu Sep 10, 2015 08:15

Things look so desperate for Otherys. I would be poetic justice if he ended up alright.
Haera needs to kill Aerys sloowwwlly for what he did to her father.

Jumping of a cliff was too good for Aerys, hopefully he drinks wildfire or gets eaten by a dragon. He literally is the biggest asshole in the AAR.

Also dude, you're really good at writing this stuff. There are some minor historical inaccuracies but nobody would notice them anyway.
Xerxes

PostPosted by jsdunc » Tue Sep 15, 2015 01:09

Chapter 19: The Purest Death

"The fuck do you mean you lost him?" shouted Edric his fist still raised. The guard lay on the floor of the tower, rubbing his bruised cheek.
"He escaped my Lord Hand," he said, "He knows Dragonstone well, better than..."
"Better than the Dragonstone guards?!" Edric cut in, "I should have your head on a spike!"
"Please..." the guard stammered, "Lord Hand, I..."
"Oh, fuck off," said Edric. The guard jumped to his feet and began to leave. "Guardsman!" Edric shouted after him, "If you don't find him soon I will have your head on a spike." The guard gave a quick salute and hurried out the room as Maester Aemon sidled in.
"Motivating the soldiers I see," he said. Edric turned to look out the tower window.
"This is a total disaster Aemond," Edric said, "We don't know if he's alive or dead."
"Aerys always was willful," said Aemond, "Even as a child it was near impossible to get him to do something he didn't want to do. I'm not surprised madness hasn't made him calmer."
"Madness..." said Edric turning back to face Aemond, "I better go join the search party, they'll be expecting..."
"Lord of Light preserve us!" came a chant in the distance.
"Who's that?" Edric said.
"Lord of Light preserve us!" came the chant again, louder this time.
"Just the fanatics," said Aemond, "They're all over Dragonstone, but they're harmless."
"Lord of Light preserve us!" it was very close now.
"Could they be involved in..." Edric began. He was interrupted by the sound of fighting, steel on steel. The two men exchanged looks, and ran for the door.

"Lord of Light preserve us! Lord of Light Preserve us!" The mob had subdued the few prison guards quickly and dragged the poor wretch out of the dungeons. Just some peasant rebel, been rotting in the dungeons for nearly a decade according to the king. He'd make a fine sacrifice. The mob dragged the unconscious man man to the pyre they'd assembled on the beach and tied him to the stake. Aerys sat nearby shivering, his gaze glancing left and right.
"Lord! Cast your light upon us!" Mero began.
"Lord of Light preserve us!" the mob chanted.
"Accept this sacrifice!" Mero continued, "And bestow your blessing on this man," Mero pointed at Aerys, "Your servant! Light the pyre!" A member of the congregation came forward and lit the stack of dry wood just as the keep bells began ringing. They'll be here soon, Mero thought, Better hope this is quick. The rebel woke just in time to feel the flames and start screaming.

"Fear not my friends!" Mero shouted over the screams, "All his sins are burned away! Death by fire is the purest death!" Mero walked over to the pitiful form of Aerys. Time for the real theatrics, he thought.
"Lord! This man's mind is darkness!" Mero placed his hand on Aerys' forehead, "Rekindle his fire! Lord of Light restore him!" Aerys eyes rolled backward. Wonderful, thought Mero, A desperate madman will believe any... An incredible warmth shot up Mero's arm. The heat of a thousand flames filled him, but it did not hurt, did not burn. Aerys' twitching anxious face stilled and the man rose. Mero felt his hand pushed away by some unseen force and the heat subsided. What? Mero thought falling to his knees, What by the Other was that?! Aerys walked calmly and assuredly forward and stared into the flames just as the sacrifice screamed his last. The flames grew suddenly, in both brightness and heat and Mero and the mob had to avert their eyes, but Aerys stared on. And suddenly, the fire dyed completely and it began to rain.
"I know now what I must do," said Aerys, "I have more war to fight." He turned to face Mero. "Thank you Red Priest, my mind is my own again and I have been reborn in the light of the one true god."

Mero stared up at Aerys. The gibbering ghoul was a king again. A king with fire burning behind his eyes. It's all true, he thought, It's actually all true... The Dragonstone guards arrived seconds later.

"You're cured?" said Aemond incredulously, "How can you be sure?"
"I just am brother," replied Aerys, "The darkness has passed."
"But this vision you speak of," said Edric, "It sounds..."
"It sounds like madness," Aemond finished. Aerys walked around the great carved map of Westeros.
"Look at me," he said, "Am I the same man you locked up here?"
"But this sudden conversion..." Aemond continued.
"Is based on the evidence of my eyes," said Aerys, "Edric, you fought the White Walkers. Are you telling me you can believe in an army of the dead but not visions?" Edric looked around awkwardly.
"I know what you're saying," he said, "But after all that's happened." Aerys walked over to Edric.
"I know my friend," he said, "But trust me, as you used to." Aerys smiled. "The Sunset Invasion is coming. I've seen it. They have dozens of dragons and hundreds of thousands of men. We need to be ready." Aemond and Edric exchanged looks.
"And how are we to prepare for this 'invasion'," said Aemond.
"We need to ally with Haera Targaryen," said Aerys.

Next Chapter: http://citadel.prophpbb.com/post85283.html#p85283
Last edited by jsdunc on Tue Nov 03, 2015 05:16, edited 2 times in total.
jsdunc

PostPosted by Schnarf » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:26

...did not expect that
Schnarf

PostPosted by Wakizashi » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:13

Darn, Game of Thrones Aztecs?
Also, nice one on the reaction of the Red Priest upon finding out he wasn't lying all along. :lol:
Kind of a dick move though, burning a guy at the stake for a god you don't even believe in...
Wakizashi

PostPosted by Specialist » Tue Sep 15, 2015 16:00

Though this is the reason why I use cheats to defeat the Summer Invasion crap. As far as I know, these random folks end up with dragons plus their vanilla military. I almost always fight them for a year or two, then console my way to victory.
My Mods:
The Legions of Ghiscar
Mixed Valyrian Ethnicities

Toccs wrote:The AI is stupid
Specialist

PostPosted by CFA26 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 16:45

well westeros is either going to burn, get a lot of dead lords or have a lot more dragons
CFA26

PostPosted by Zander Cadnex » Sat Sep 19, 2015 18:00

That took a very interesting turn. interested to see how it'll go ^.^ about to finally put up my own AAR because of yours.
Zander Cadnex

PostPosted by jsdunc » Wed Sep 23, 2015 23:07

So, my laptop has died and I'm not sure how much stuff I'm going to be able to recover off of it. I'll let you guys know if I can get the save back but there's a chance this'll be it I'm afraid.
jsdunc

PostPosted by Max14354 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 00:38

jsdunc wrote:So, my laptop has died and I'm not sure how much stuff I'm going to be able to recover off of it. I'll let you guys know if I can get the save back but there's a chance this'll be it I'm afraid.

Well, you can always start another one, maybe something in the past, dragon riding or some random rebellion.
Max14354

PreviousNext

Return to After Action Reports (AAR)