Ian McShane, Casting Confirmed. and Euron Greyjoy

Feel free to discuss anything not related to the mod or A Game of Thrones here

Ian McShane, Casting Confirmed. and Euron Greyjoy

PostPosted by Craegon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 00:00

For those who don't keep up with the news on the HBO Games of thrones TV show, there has been an announced casting of Ian Mcshane, for the show, below are the listing's of character's he will possibly play in season 6 from character descriptions from HBO

Spoiler: show
Elder Brother - (HBO's Description) - “In his 40’s or 50’s. A gruff ex-soldier who found religion. Now a no-nonsense rural priest who ministers to the poor of the countryside. He’s salt-of-the-earth man who has weathered many battles.” it's most likely this character is the elder brother, as for Ian McShane He fits the bill for this character so there's a good chance for this one. would also tie in with fan theories on a certain dead dog...

Randall Tarly - (HBO's Description) (father): Aged 50’s to 60’s, he’s one of the greatest soldiers in Westeros- a humourless martinet, severe and intimidating. He demands martial discipline in the field and in his home. It’s described as ‘a very good part’ for next year and that he’s centrally involved in a protagonist’s storyline.” pretty much fits Randall Tarly and there is casting for a sister, kind mother, and favoured son, Randall Tarly is likely the favourite for Ian McShane's character which means he will be a main character most likely based on his description.

Aerys Targaryen - There is no confirmation to this one, however it could be speculated as he plays crazy well and would be of an age with Aerys The mad king. and there is a casting for 3 boys of similar age practising swordplay, and with the last seasons ending it has been speculated a flashback will occur this season, most likely pertaining to ASOIAF Jesus Neo Super Saiyan (you know who).

Additionally, a certain crows eye may appear this season,

Euron Greyjoy - (HBO's Description) “Man in his 40’s to late 50’s. He’s ‘an infamous pirate who has terrorised seas all around the world. Cunning, ruthless, with a touch of madness.’ He’s a dangerous-looking man. A very good part this season.” Pretty sure Victarion is confirmed as to not appear, would fit well as we've seen very little of the Ironborn and with last seasons ending a space has opened for a character on the show, favourite for this character (personal preference) would be Mads Mikkelsen (there is allot of fan art for this guy and that character, most likely due to him playing a character with one eye previously and the same character being a touch mad and looking like Crow's eye himself)
Craegon

Re: Ian McShane, Casting Confirmed. and Euron Greyjoy

PostPosted by Azsouth » Tue Aug 04, 2015 01:03

I personally think he's playing the priest from the quiet isle, the you tubers I subscribe to think he's playing either the Mad King in a flashback, Randyll Tarly, Rickard Stark in a flashback, or Euron Greyjoy because they mainly can't see a high profile casting like this only getting a small roll like the priest from the quiet isle. Personally from what I'v seen of him he would make the perfect former soldier and we know from last season where they spent money on somewhat known actors for the roll of the red priest in Volantis that stared at Tyrion (she was the co-star in the Wolverine movie w/ Hugh Jackman) and the Pirate leader Malko who took Tyrion and Jorah prisoner who was a fairly known actor in Adewale Akinnouye-Agbaje.
Azsouth

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 01:44

Is Ian McShane that famous? After searching for him I could place personally him only in Death Race and Deadwood, the latter being a HBO production.
SinStar87

PostPosted by dontwakethedragon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 01:54

SinStar87 wrote:Is Ian McShane that famous? After searching for him I could place personally him only in Death Race and Deadwood, the latter being a HBO production.

He's played small parts in about a dozen movies, numerous TV shows, and done a bit of theater. I can't wait to see who he'll be playing in the next season, but I'd love to see him as Greyjoy.
dontwakethedragon

PostPosted by Craegon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 01:58

SinStar87 wrote:Is Ian McShane that famous? After searching for him I could place personally him only in Death Race and Deadwood, the latter being a HBO production.

he isn't as famous as say tom cruise or the like but he is good actor, usually he's good at roles, if he was playing Randall Tarly for example he will play the character well, same for any other character I listed, he tends to get into the role more than most.

for example some book readers don't like people like sansa (sophie turner) because she gives off varying emotions which seem to transition wierdly but ian mcshane tends to stay constant, try deadwood to see how he is, I've personally not seen the show but I hear he play a character whom, for the wild west is very regal and never loses that no matter his situation.
Craegon

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 02:18

Oh I have, don't click this link, for fear of nightmares and not sitting right for a week. And spoilers too I guess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZj7H8sfkR0
SinStar87

PostPosted by Craegon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 03:05

SinStar87 wrote:Oh I have, don't click this link, for fear of nightmares and not sitting right for a week. And spoilers too I guess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZj7H8sfkR0

Now that's a commited mother fucker........... Fuck........
Craegon

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Wed Aug 05, 2015 09:16

All these characters appear and there is still no Val. I hate you HBO!
Because he's the king that Westeros deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll fight him, because he can take it. He is a teeth gritting guardian. He is pure iron. A truly just man.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by Craegon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:52

as someone who only recently started the books (on page 246 of book 1) I'm unsure on the show allot myself really, I think HBO personally has taken things from the story which would be better left present, Cold hands for example, but who knows once upon a time Euron Greyjoy wasn't supposed to appear, who knows who else we'll get, maybe even Aegon who I think would be a great addition though they'd have to change allot as the story of him coming to Westeros is vastly different or would have to be considering half of his story is someone else's and hell some people are have just vanished like gendry.
Craegon

PostPosted by panzerfury » Sat Aug 29, 2015 22:01

I fanboyed when I found out they're casting Greyjoys in season 6.
panzerfury

PostPosted by Craegon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 04:09

panzerfury wrote:I fanboyed when I found out they're casting Greyjoys in season 6.

We all probably felt a little hyped, but remember it is the show; And you may not get the exact same Euron, I say that as I believe only Euron will be present, no damphair nor Victarion though maybe they will be, if only in reduced roles.
Craegon

PostPosted by Solo4114 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 20:18

They may also be depicting Balon's end.
Solo4114

PostPosted by panzerfury » Sat Sep 26, 2015 03:12

Craegon wrote:For those who don't keep up with the news on the HBO Games of thrones TV show, there has been an announced casting of Ian Mcshane, for the show, below are the listing's of character's he will possibly play in season 6 from character descriptions from HBO

Elder Brother - (HBO's Description) - “In his 40’s or 50’s. A gruff ex-soldier who found religion. Now a no-nonsense rural priest who ministers to the poor of the countryside. He’s salt-of-the-earth man who has weathered many battles.” it's most likely this character is the elder brother, as for Ian McShane He fits the bill for this character so there's a good chance for this one. would also tie in with fan theories on a certain dead dog...

That HAS to be Damphair merged with Victarion.

Edit: Ian Macshane played King Silas in the short-lived TV show "Kings," which I loved. It had a lot of GoT-esque elements like scandals and political manuvering, though it was Biblically themed but thankfully just borrowed names and references instead of strong christian overtones. I recommend it! That being said I think he will be an EXCELLENT fit for Westeros.
panzerfury

PostPosted by Craegon » Sat Sep 26, 2015 03:39

panzerfury wrote:
That HAS to be Damphair merged with Victarion.

Edit: Ian Macshane played King Silas in the short-lived TV show "Kings," which I loved. It had a lot of GoT-esque elements like scandals and political manuvering, though it was Biblically themed but thankfully just borrowed names and references instead of strong christian overtones. I recommend it! That being said I think he will be an EXCELLENT fit for Westeros.

I have heard of that show, the only thing putting me off is its length, sadly to your other point I believe Damphair and Victarion have been cut in all but name, however after Euron casting being confirmed its likely he'll either be Randall Tarly or The Elder Brother.
Craegon

PostPosted by Solo4114 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 21:57

Late to the party here, but I'm guessing that McShane is actually playing Lord Manderly, and the character he's "bringing back" is Rickon.
Solo4114

PostPosted by MBjarno » Fri Dec 04, 2015 13:53

Danish actor Pilou Asbæk has been cast as Euron Greyjoy from what I know? Looks nothing like I would imagine Euron, but they must have an idea for him.
Last edited by MBjarno on Sat Dec 26, 2015 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
MBjarno

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Fri Dec 25, 2015 15:07

This Pilou Asbæk guy looking at pictures... Color of his hair is similar to that of the actor playing Theon's... Then after that I'd just say he should wear his hair shaggy but retain a groomed beard.

Like this picture. I'd draw an eyepatch on it but that would require me to save and upload it haha.

Honestly though I had kinda pictured somebody more similar to like James Purefoy's appearance.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by MBjarno » Sat Dec 26, 2015 03:21

It's quite a curious choice I would say as well, nothing like I imagined. Other Danes I would have seen over him to be honest, not to mention generally other actors entirely, yet I trust them. Most actors have panned out rather well, bar the Sandsnakes.
MBjarno

Return to Off Topic